UN Nepal has completed Nepal Earthquake Response and Recovery program (NERRP) in Ajirkot 1 & 4 (Ghyachok & Simjung) Sulikot 5 (TMLB) and Chum Nubri 7 (Chhekampar)of Gorkha District with the partnership of Oxfam. The overall objective of the project is to empower and self reliance the local community through intervention on WaSH, Shelter, EFSVL, Gender, DRR. The project was started from 1st April 2017and completed on 31st march 2018.
Under this project a comprehensive and multiple intervention was made in the targeted communities as per their need and demands. WASH, Shelter, Livelihood, DRR and Gender were the major intervention in the communities. Further, D2D support in various communities has brought the positive changes on reconstruction and technology adaptation. WASH component has reached 3642 beneficiaries to improve their hygiene behaviour and access to clean drinking water. Similarly, EFSVL project reached to around2390 beneficiaries in Year 3 . Major activities during the year were Cooperative Strengthening support for 4 Cooperative, 3 Collection Centers Building construction, training for 8 leader farmers, 13 persons got Home Stay skill development & Management training, 4 persons got WASH mason training and 1 got Allo Processing Training. Gender & Protection program Reached 3027 beneficiaries through overall activities which includes reflect circle and vital registration as well.
Moreover, 178 vulnerable households were provided with NRs. 50,000.00 top up grant to start their house construction and claim subsequent Tranches to be provided by government. People were benefitted by the Information centers having technical guidance on resilient houses construction and NRA notices and circular. Introduction of CSEB machine to encourage the production and use of alternative construction materials. Community Search and Rescue (CSAR) and First Aid training provided to community people and this helped them conduct rescue and first aid operation for the victims of future disasters. Supported for 4 small mitigation schemes in our project area to stop potential risks from flood , landslides and slippery while walking which has reached 2322 population during project tenure.
In nutshell, NER Project is able to bring the positive changes and smile of EQ victims in targeted project areas.
The goal of the programme is to secure productive livelihoods through income generation, food security, and DRR to reduce the vulnerability of the local people in the post-earthquake context.
- By 2018, Vulnerable Communities take action to manage WASH facilities and improve hygiene behaviour and contribute to Sustainability
- 498 HH(2739 beneficiaries ) from poor marginalized , vulnerable socially excluded EQ affected men and women (at least 60% women) have increased ability to meet their basic needs ,restore , develop and sustain a resilient livelihood
- Disaster risk reduction (DRR) mainstreamed in post-earthquake recovery and reconstruction and development plans and programmes in earthquake affected districts.
- Around 1500 beneficiaries reached through Housing Program where vulnerable and ultra poor people will receive the support for shelter construction.
Major Project Interventions:
Water sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
WASH got implemented in three wards of 2 Rural Municipalities with both hardware and software activities.While implementing the program activities under WASH component, primary focus had been laid towards construction, repair and maintenance of disaster resilient DWSSs. An effort to ensure effective role of W-WASH-CC for the maintenance of water sanitation and hygiene resulting reduced water borne diseases has been made through the facilitation of the meetings at local level. For the Sustainability of the structures, we provided VMW, Pre& Post construction training, Water tariff collection training and exposure visit as well to the WUCs.
With the implementation of PHP activities, people seem to be aware of personal and environmetatal hygiene and sanitation which ultimately would lead to their behavioural change regarding hygienic behaviour at all level.
This report comprises a summary of both hardware and software activities we conducted during the project period.
Constructed 13 Drinking Water Supply Schemes focusing to vulnerable communities in 3 wards of Chumnubri, Ajirkot & Sulikot Rural Municipalities.
- Through dissemination of hygiene promotion messages in communities leading to their behavioral change,
- Reached to 6571 beneficiaries in year 2 and 3642beneficiaries through WASH program in year
Conventional livelihood pattern of the local people had been compromised a lot after the severe struck of earthquake in 2015 and so various efforts to enhance the alternative livelihood options were in implementation under Resilient Livelihood activities. Leader farmers from the project implemented wards of Rural municipalise were selected, trained and supported. They have been doing a model farming at their locality so as other farmers too are expected to follow their footsteps to enhance their income level and eventually the life standard. As a MUS modality, three different smallIrrigationSchemes came into completion providing better irrigation options for the beneficiaries leading to enjoying multiple crop calendar in a year.
To promote local cooperatives, based on their need identification, we supported them by the construction of Cooperative buildings and providing furniture and other accessories for smooth office functioning. Remittance service came into smooth running at TMLB by which local beneficiaries in and around TMLB have been benefitted and elated. Vocational training to promote the livelihood options of the local people have been provided on Home Stay skill Development and Management. WASH Masonry and Allow Processing with materials support in considerable numbers and quantity. A cheese processing centre at Chhekampar came into operation this year leaving high demand and prospects of better livelihood options for the people at Chhekampar.
- Reached to 7542 beneficiaries during this year. EFSVL project reached to around2390 beneficiaries in this year. Major activities during the year were Cooperative Strengthening support for 4 Cooperative, 3 Collection Centers Building construction, training for 8 leader farmers, 13 persons got Home Stay skill development & Management training, 4 persons got WASH mason training and 1got Allo Processing Training.
- 3088 people benefitted by Cash for Work, 1331 people got granary storage support, 80 HHs got Livestock support and 639 Petty Traders received Cash Grant during year 2 intervention. It’s been reported that people have safely stored the seeds for their cereals and grains by the use of Granary. 59 people have got business awareness Training and now been able to develop their business plan for any small scale potential business venture at local level.
- Around 1500 beneficiaries reached through Housing Program.
- 178 vulnerable households were provided with NRs. 50,000.00 top up grant to start their house construction and claim subsequent Tranches to be provided by government.
- People were benefitted by the Information centers having technical guidance on resilient houses construction and NRA notices and circular.
- Introduction of CSEB machine to encourage the production and use of alternative construction materials.
- 1 house at Tamalabot was retrofitted with positive messaging on its suitability and durability.
Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR)
- Major activities include formulation of Local Disaster & Climate Resilience Plan (LDCRP), CSAR and First Aid training, Simulation Exercise has been successfully completed.
- Conducted Simulation exercise in community and thus community people got idea of preparedness from the potential disaster.
- Community Search and Rescue (CSAR) and First Aid training provided to community people and this helped them conduct rescue and first aid operation for the victims of future disasters.
- Supported for 4 small mitigation schemes in our project area to stop potential risks from flood, landslides and slippery while walking.
Gender & Protection
Gender and protection is one of the components of ERR program as cross cutting issues where Unification Nepal was working in Simjung, Tamalabot Ghyachok and Chhekampar.
These programs were focused on improving and strengthening Gender and protection systems, Shelter, water & sanitation and disaster risk reduction including organizing the capacity building training and workshops at district and community levels.
- 7 Reflect circles came into running and benefitted 228 people, mostly women from poor and vulnerable communities. With Reflect Circle, local women have now been capable to raise the voice against Women violence and aware of their rights as provisioned by the laws and constitution.
- The program has made good advocacy for women (especially single women) rights, voice against GBV and importance of citizenship and vital registration.
- Recently in February, 803 people were aware of importance of Citizenship & vital registration through Mobile camp.
- 403 (274Female and 129 male) people claimed Citizenship. 32 (14Female and 18male) got Disability card. 85 Couple were provided marriage registration card. 76 (46Female and 30 Male) people got Birth registration Card.
- Gender & Protection program Reached 3027 beneficiaries through overall activities.